newbie question: single-user mode

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Dec 27 20:43:31 EST 2007

If you're going to be fooling with your laptop in this way (and we
encourage you to do so) the very first thing you should do is get a
developer key.  I hope you did so?

>From the OFW prompt, type 'more olpc.fth' to see the boot script.  The
bit at the end is the business side; you can probably figure out where
to edit the kernel command-line to enter single user mode.  I haven't
done this recently (I've never wedged the machine to the extent that
the virtual consoles went down -- what *did* you do?) but I think it
ought to be possible.  The old 'i for interact' will also work during
non-pretty boot (even w/o a dev key) and you can choose not to start
X.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )