3rd Fedora disk curdle

Gerard J. Cerchio gjpc at circlesoft.com
Thu Dec 27 15:10:46 EST 2007

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> 1. Define "curdle their ext3 disk".

I use the word curdle to describe a disk with lost inodes, sectors that
are multiply  allocated, and other such problems that fsck valiantly
tries to correct but winds up with a non-working system. In the last
case I got a clean boot and clean subsequent fsck, however many
applications just seg faulted when I tried to run them.
> 2. What version of VMware are you using?

VMWare server 1.04 (latest freebe)
> 3. What's your host version?

Windows XP 64 SP2. Booting off an Nvidia RAID5 4 disk 1 TB.
> 4. Are you using the default settings on your virtual disks or are you
> changing them in some way?

The first two I just took all the defaults. This new one I put on the
IDE controller. I don't have a whole bunch of faith in the snapshot
system either so  I just don't use it.

Now here is something interesting, I just did a NTFS chkdsk on the RAID
and it moved my vmdk's into a copy of the the VM's directory while
reporting 2 lost files. These are the first errors I have ever seen on
the NVidia RAID after running it for a year. This has me nervous enough
to move the VM's off the RAID and onto an IDE backup drive in the
system. Maybe I am looking at some VMare/XP64 interaction. Anyway I'll
report any new problems on this thread.