Conway's Life activity

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon Dec 24 00:24:05 EST 2007

You may be amused to know that the firmware has an Easter Egg of the
Conway's Life.  If you press the rocker pad (left side of screen) to the
right after powering on, you will get a randomly-select amusement, one
of which is Life.  It uses the traditional life-death rule with a
wrap-around field, and initial conditions that result in a fairly long
number of generations before steady-state.  Specificially, the initial
state is a glider gun and an R-pentomino.  The pentomino evolution
eventually wrecks the gun, but things get pretty wild for awhile as
gliders wrap around and interact with the debris from the pentomino.  It
almost stabilizes several times, but then something will set off another
burst of activity for awhile before it finally dies out.