Conf Call today for discussion of G1G1 Support, 2pm est

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Tue Dec 18 10:43:55 EST 2007

[Adam - can you check the email addresses for people? thanks]

These minutes can be found here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_mtg

Attending: Noah, Danny, Kate Davis, Adam Holt, Jim Gettys, Kim, Yani, Mary
Lou, Ricardo, Chui-Yui, Rob (Marvell), Mitch, Don Hopkins

>From our main wiki page, there is a link in the text to "help", "wiki", and
"getting started" (not currently on main page).

Support wiki page: Provides lots of support options and community mailing
lists

Noah suggests that there is too much information on the Support pages. Kate
suggests that we need to categorize the questions (how to get started, how
to connect, how to work with activities).

Which communities should newbies join?

   - community-support at laptop.org (look in lists.laptop.org)
   - irc.freenode.net, olpc-help

It is recommended that we use the wiki FAQ for user-facing knowledge db; for
both users and community support people to find their answers.

There will be a discussion on community development on Wednesday afternoon -
if you are interested contact Adam (holt at laptop.org).

For IRC, we want to use olpc-help rather than olpc-support. We will be
spread too thin to try and do both. We will ask our developers to help out
here; but we don't want developers to be overwhelmed. The balancing act we
have is that if developers are required to meet update1 goals AND answer a
bunch of IRC questions. Probably need to delay update1.

   - Don Hopkins, Amsterdam (olpc netherlands user group) asked what he
   and his group can do to help. And provided some more questions that we
   should have answers for:

   - How can people get laptops in quantity; working with educational
   institutions; concrete proposals should probably be sent to walter at
   Laptop.org
   - How can you pay for 100+ laptops: contact the 'Give Many' program:
   Givemany at laptop.org, 800-379-7017
   - How can I apply to the Developers program?
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers_Program

Things that the Netherlands community could do would include making
emulation/virtualization.
-kim