Laptop debug

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Thu Dec 20 22:37:09 EST 2007

As an alternative to wiring up a voltage converter chip, you can instead
go directly to USB with a USB-to-serial chip such as a PL2303.

The "traditional" arrangement is:

  USB-to-serial dongle   -> DB9 -> serial cable -> DB9 ->
12V-to-3.3V-voltage-translator

But inside the USB-to-serial dongle there is:

  USB-to-serial-chip -> 3.3V-to-12V-voltage-translator

So the chain:

  3.3V-to-12V-voltage-translator  -> DB9 -> serial cable -> DB9 ->
12V-to-3.3V-voltage-translator

is essentially a complicated hardware "no-op".

There is little difference in the complexity of wiring up the
USB-to-serial chip versus wiring up the voltage translator chip.