KDE, QT, and the XO

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Wed Dec 12 22:28:05 EST 2007

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> (adding devel@ and Bernhard Rosenkraenzer to Cc list)
>
> Samuel Klein wrote:
>
>> Two questions for you:
>>   1) is anyone working on a slimmed-down version of QT?  It looks as though
>> it would be 30M of code and dependencies not in our current image.  (see
>
> It's always been quite easy to rebuild Qt with stripped down
> functionality.  I've been doing it on both embedded Linux and
> Windows environments with Qt 3.x.  The worst offenders were
> the large encoding tables for charsets.
>
> The problem with KDE applications is that they depend on kdelibs
> too, which in turn tend to depend on the full blown Qt.
>
> Back at the time of KDE 3.0, there used to be options to build
> stripped down versions of kdelibs on top of Qt/Embedded.
> Ultimately, you could have Konqueror running off a statically
> linked binary of 5-6MB.
>
> The project was here, but it seems abandoned:
>
>   http://www.konqueror.org/embedded/
>

>> our latest image, emulation works cleanly : wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulation)
>>   2) is anyone working on a KDE package for the XO of any sort?
>
> I initially thought that relocating the KDE runtime would be hard.
> Then I remembered that everything in KDE is relative to $KDEDIR
> or $QTDIR.  So, easy as pie!

I gave up on KDE (and Gnome) a couple of years ago because they were so
bloated. For about six months I ran XFCE 4.2. I did some beta testing on
  fairly late betas of XFCE 4.4 and it was starting to look too bloated
for me as well. So I ended up using "GNUStep/Windowmaker" after trying
most of the lighter ones. I'm still on it, although I do run Gnome on my
Fedora virtual machine.

I have to admit I haven't tried matchbox yet, but I have tried
Fluxbox/Blackbox, IceWM and Enlightenment. Enlightenment is definitely
an aquired taste. :) That said, I don't see the point in putting KDE or
even QT on the XO. I know there's a lot of educational software
available in and for KDE, but doesn't most of it have lighter-weight
alternatives?