KDE, QT, and the XO

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Dec 12 21:13:57 EST 2007

(adding devel@ and Bernhard Rosenkraenzer to Cc list)

Samuel Klein wrote:

> Two questions for you:
>   1) is anyone working on a slimmed-down version of QT?  It looks as though
> it would be 30M of code and dependencies not in our current image.  (see

It's always been quite easy to rebuild Qt with stripped down
functionality.  I've been doing it on both embedded Linux and
Windows environments with Qt 3.x.  The worst offenders were
the large encoding tables for charsets.

The problem with KDE applications is that they depend on kdelibs
too, which in turn tend to depend on the full blown Qt.

Back at the time of KDE 3.0, there used to be options to build
stripped down versions of kdelibs on top of Qt/Embedded.
Ultimately, you could have Konqueror running off a statically
linked binary of 5-6MB.

The project was here, but it seems abandoned:

  http://www.konqueror.org/embedded/

> our latest image, emulation works cleanly : wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulation)
>   2) is anyone working on a KDE package for the XO of any sort?

I initially thought that relocating the KDE runtime would be hard.
Then I remembered that everything in KDE is relative to $KDEDIR
or $QTDIR.  So, easy as pie!

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/