Help wanted: video demo!

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Tue Dec 11 18:07:10 EST 2007

On 12/11/07, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:

> We need a demo which shows off the full-screen video capabilities of
> the XO.  Unfortunately, Record compresses its input rather heavily, so
> it's not a great demo for video playback.  We bundle the Ogg Theora
> codecs, and Browse can play media files full-screen, so the first step
> is for someone to invest some time in transcoding an appropriate demo
> movie (I suggest
> http://www.elephantsdream.org/ -- some ogg transcoding linked from
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Elephants_Dream ) to an appropriate bit
> rate / size for the XO.  Make it look good!
>
> It may be that we need to find a higher-performance (but still free)
> codec or some such to make this really look good.  Help here could be
> useful, too.

To handle most any digital video format, Quicktime would be easiest to get
started.

   - Encode your existing files into DV (using Quicktime pro).
   - Use gstreamer to encode into ogg files:

gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=grover.dv ! dvdemux ! dvdec !
ffmpegcolorspace ! theoraenc ! oggmux ! filesink location= grover.ogg

Of course you will want to alter settings to change the file size, rate,
etc.  You would make these changes in the gstreamer pipeline or in quicktime
as a pre-processing step.