translating policy, any ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Dec 9 06:09:23 EST 2007

On Dec 9, 2007, at 10:41 , Andi wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> is there any translating policy that I have oversight ?
>
> If yes, point me someone to that policy please.
>
> If no, what is the official intention by the majority of the
> translators
> and/or decision-makers about using native terms as much as possible
> vs.
> using the most commonly used english terms ?
>
> E.g. "Mesh-Network" translated in some languages to a native term but
> sometimes more or less not translated and used as is.
> Same for "Chat".
>
> I want just a high quality homogeneous translation for all languages.

Here's my take on it (sent to localization list previously):

IMHO we are obliged to invent native terms for any tech phrases. Our
target group are kids just learning to read.

Having English terms sprinkled throughout the experience is terrible.
I see this with my own kids, who struggle a lot when reading stuff
off product packaging, ads, etc.

And even although those English terms seem very appropriate and
untranslatable to us adults, and using native terms seems very
awkward, it is only a question of familiarization with these new,
native terms.

For example, in Germany many very old terms from computing do have a
German equivalent, and are even preferred or at least used
interchangeably with their English counterparts. But more recent
terms are not translated anymore, they are simply adopted. E.g.,
"Festplatte" is a direct translation of "hard disk" and in general
use, but it would never have a chance to get adopted nowadays (its
literal back-translation would be something like "feasting-plate").

The XO should come with a manual that defines those terms, written by
someone who is a language expert rather than a computing expert. Are
there any plans in this direction?

- Bert -