web proxy logs from school servers?

Adrian Chadd adrian at squid-cache.org
Thu Dec 6 18:22:50 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Adrian,
>
>  > Hm, i haven't seen rproxy before; integrating it into Squid could
>  > prove to be rather interesting..
>
> yes, I had a student looking at that a while ago (back when I was an
> academic), but the student got tempted by a .com job and stopped his
> degree :-)

I've never, ever seen that happen before, oh no. :)

> Chaining it also has the advantage of keeping the code very
> simple. For school servers, we'd probably want to round-robin or
> similar between multiple upsteam servers, each running a squid. One of
> the nice features of the delta encoding that rproxy uses is that the
> subsequent requests don't need to be against the same upstream proxy
> as the original request for the compression to be effective.

Well, if I get my way then Squid-2 will become more modular over time;
rproxy shouldn't then be that hard to include in-line.

Although there's other things I'd like to actually include in Squid
(which have been done countless times before in the commercial world
but never really contributed back..) including satellite object
multicasting.

If the school server team decides to run Squid then I'm open to have a
chat about what sorts of things can be done to improve the experience,
like rproxy.

Adrian