web proxy logs from school servers?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Dec 6 18:19:00 EST 2007

Adrian,

 > Hm, i haven't seen rproxy before; integrating it into Squid could
 > prove to be rather interesting..

yes, I had a student looking at that a while ago (back when I was an
academic), but the student got tempted by a .com job and stopped his
degree :-)

It's not totally necessary though as you can chain proxies
together. The way I've generally used rproxy at home in the past has
been to chain it to a squid on the upstream side. It saved a lot when
I was on a slow link, but now I have ADSL2+ I have it turned off as it
doesn't really matter.

Chaining it also has the advantage of keeping the code very
simple. For school servers, we'd probably want to round-robin or
similar between multiple upsteam servers, each running a squid. One of
the nice features of the delta encoding that rproxy uses is that the
subsequent requests don't need to be against the same upstream proxy
as the original request for the compression to be effective.

Cheers, Tridge