Status of Develop.activity?

Charles Durrett charles.durrett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 20:23:48 EST 2007

Howdy.   Comments inline below.

On Dec 5, 2007 6:37 PM, Jameson Chema Quinn <jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu> wrote:

> Starting January 6, I plan to be working 20 hours a week on Develop.
> Actually I was gonna do tinymail first as Sugar practice. I estimate that I
> will have something useable (for Develop) within a month, though "usable" is
> very very far from feature-complete. No source control, language features,
> activity sharing, or even a real debugger in the initial version, just a
> python editor and shell.

Sounds like a plan.   I have some 'downtime' from my northern hemisphere
farm during the winter so I might see what I can noodle together also.

I feel a Develop.activity capability is a very important aspect of the
OLPC.   Along the lines of the embedded basic interpreters in the early
computers mass marketed to the general (and creative) population.   It's
also philosophically important but that's a whole different discussion.

I've war gamed three different Develop.activity development
architecture/languages: Python, Smalltalk and JavaScript.  I think I'll
'attack' on the Python front.

> Any one of the aforementioned extra features would, of course, more than
> double the total work, but all are important in my POV. As soon as I can, I
> plan to start working on language features (my pet project, search the wiki
> for "bityi" to see some of my ideas). I would be happy to coordinate with
> MCFletch to split up the job, but it looks as if they have plenty else on
> their plate too...
>
>  I plan to apply for a developer machine, too, as soon as the Christmas
> rush is over. Hopefully enough hours of developer work earns you one, even
> if you're not working on hardware and drivers. (And don't y'all want
> somebody demoing in Guatemala?)

Mmm.   Well my 'constraints' are to try to develop Develop.activity solely
on the OLPC itself to avoid tiery-eyed astigmatism.  I have 3 G1G1 machines
heading in my direction and will eventually use one of those.   For now I am
using Ship.2 running in Qemu.

I've gotten IDLE working on the OLPC and plan to look at slamming it
together with the presumably Sugar architected fragments from the
Develop.activity files I found dated March of this year (2007).   As I
mentioned, I'll be eating my own dog food by using only what's on the
deployed machines and whatever I can create that way.

> Jameson

Chuck