Fake mesh over IP.

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 03:56:43 EST 2007

Miguel Álvarez wrote:
> I think that you're rather interested on the presence service and
> activity sharing. That can be done independently of the mesh range, as
> it relies (in the infrastructure mode) on jabber servers. I guess there
> will be designated server(s) for G1G1 recipients, but that can be
> manually configured if necessary.

Yes, the presence service operates either over the mesh, or via a Jabber
server if you have Internet access. However due to scalability issues,
the G1G1 software is not configured with a real jabber server by
default. There is no way we could handle the 100,000 G1G1 laptops trying
to connect to the current infrastructure.

We are working on server scalability issues for Update.1, at which time
there will be a new software release and hopefully a usable server.

I do NOT recommend anybody advising G1G1 users to connect to the current
developer jabber servers, as that will ensure that those servers become
unusable for the development community.

The best alternative we can offer at this stage is
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Run_your_own_jabber_server which points to the
ejabberd configuration currently in use, and which will be kept up to
date as we test additional Jabber servers.

Morgan