joyride, ship.1 etc.

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Tue Dec 4 16:46:17 EST 2007

Hi Sameer,

   > Can someone point me to a document that explains what the flow is
   > with respect to these branches (these are branches I presume) and
   > what will be shipped on the G1G1 machines, Ceibal project, etc.?

I'm not sure whether this is in a wiki page; perhaps someone could start
one.  Here's a summary:

* Ship.1 is build623, and was preloaded on all MP machines for a while.
  It isn't preloaded on new machines, and any machine with it installed
  should since have been updated to Ship.2.  It was released around 1st
  Nov.  It will mostly not be seen by the outside world at all.

* Ship.2 is build649, and will be the build received by G1G1 recipients,
  as well as the Uruguay Ceibal users.  (Actually, Uruguay is using a
  slightly custom build, but it's based on Ship.2.)  It was released
  around 1st Dec.

* Update.1 is not released, and is being worked on in the "joyride"
  branch.  After code freeze, scheduled for around 2007-12-15, a copy
  of the joyride branch will be made and named update.1, and any
  development that isn't targeting Update.1 can continue in joyride.
  Update.1 release is scheduled for mid January, as seen on the roadmap:

     http://dev.laptop.org/roadmap

  The roadmap also contains the feature goals for Update.1.  Machines
  can be automatically upgraded (preserving user data) from Ship.2 to
  Update.1 after release.

* Joyride can be thought of as synonymous with "trunk" or "HEAD" or
  "unstable", much like the Debian/unstable distribution.

I'm not one of the build masters -- perhaps they could follow up and
correct me if I've misunderstood something.

Hope that helps,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>