boot failed after updating MP to joyride-357 (activation?)

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Tue Dec 4 12:17:57 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 11:20 AM, Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org> wrote:
> One extra piece of info: Once you get a developers key, you should 'disable
> security' from the OK prompt.

No, I don't think I would recommend that in all cases.  Having the
developer key in /security is entirely equivalent, and lets you easily
turn on and off 'insecure boot' (by moving or renaming the file) while
you are developing, which is probably best if you are just a casual
developer and want to be able to return to a stable build and give the
machine to a kid to play with.

With insecure boot, you don't get automatic firmware updates with
build images, and you lose pretty boot.  You can re-enable secure boot
for a single boot only by turning on power with the 'X' key held down.

Anyway, one should decide whether to permanently disable security on a
case-by-case basis; I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )