Signed 648 (ship.2 release candidate)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Dec 4 04:22:39 EST 2007

 Thank you one more time, Morgan,

> Due to scalability issues, Ship.2 (the G1G1 release) is configured with
> a non-existant jabber server, ship2.jabber.laptop.org. We are working on
> server scalability for Update.1 which will enable the use of a server
> without totally killing it for everyone. That plan is to only show
> presence for a limited number of XOs in Neighborhood view, consisting of
> your friends, some XOs from the same network segment as you (being XOs
> on the same LAN or same part of the ISP's network to give some sort of
> "near you" presence, and some random XOs - with some way to search for
> other XOs so you can "friend" them.

  Ok.  And, it answers some questions I had as well:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2007-October/007055.html

> In the mean time, G1G1 users can consider
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Run_your_own_jabber_server (not for the faint
> of heart though).

  This sure will happen^^; I have to admit that I didn't know that the
control panel was already there.  So, it is conceivable that one good
highschooler can set up and invite others in town to there.

  Thank you!

-- Yoshiki