Signed 648 (ship.2 release candidate)

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 03:41:02 EST 2007

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   I don't know the plan of any sort, but presumably there will be the
> users of XO through G1G1 in the US and Canada (and other places) very
> soon.  Is there any a jabber server (say) for them, or a forum,

Due to scalability issues, Ship.2 (the G1G1 release) is configured with
a non-existant jabber server, ship2.jabber.laptop.org. We are working on
server scalability for Update.1 which will enable the use of a server
without totally killing it for everyone. That plan is to only show
presence for a limited number of XOs in Neighborhood view, consisting of
your friends, some XOs from the same network segment as you (being XOs
on the same LAN or same part of the ISP's network to give some sort of
"near you" presence, and some random XOs - with some way to search for
other XOs so you can "friend" them.

In the mean time, G1G1 users can consider
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Run_your_own_jabber_server (not for the faint
of heart though).

Morgan