e-Book reader

Yoric Yoric at users.sf.net
Mon Aug 6 06:35:15 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 03:12 -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Yoric <Yoric at users.sf.net> wrote:
> > With this in mind, I intend to be able to reference
> > * the package itself (to be able to download it, from Firefox or from
> > anywhere else)
>
> http://canonical.source/alice.in.wonderland.zip

In what you write, is "canonical.source" a string constant that should
be interpreted by the proxy (say a variant on "localhost") or are there
a variety of different canonical sources ?

Once the book has been downloaded locally or, say, added to a
hypothetical peer-to-peer library, do you refer to it with the same http
URL or with a file URL (respectively a peer-2-peer protocol URL) ?

> Obtaining this URL from the URL of an individual "page" of the book is
> done with the standard <link> tags.

For this, you need a starting page. Do I take it that
http://canonical.source/alice.in.wonderland.zip/index.html must be the
"first" page of the book ?

> > * resources internal to the package (to be able to display them, to
> > bookmarks them, to link to them)
>
> http://canonical.source/alice.in.wonderland.zip/chapter1
>
> Serving this URL is the job of the web server, which is allowed by the
> http specification to parse the non-host part of the URL any way it
> wants.

Does this mean that in addition to hacking the proxy, you also need to
hack the web server ?

> > * resources external to the package (for the same reasons).
>
> http://cnn.com

Agreed.

> > Furthermore, I would like to be able to share my bookmarks with other
> > readers. So, when I bookmark chapter 7 of __Alice in Wonderland__, if I
> > send this bookmark to some friend, that bookmark should keep working if
> > the friend has __Alice in Wonderland__ on the computer.
>
> http://canonical.source/alice.in.wonderland.zip/chapter7
>
> works even if the friend *doesn't* have alice.in.wonderland already
> cached on their computer.

Ok.