e-Book reader

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Mon Aug 6 03:12:34 EDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Yoric <Yoric at users.sf.net> wrote:
> With this in mind, I intend to be able to reference
> * the package itself (to be able to download it, from Firefox or from
> anywhere else)

http://canonical.source/alice.in.wonderland.zip
Obtaining this URL from the URL of an individual "page" of the book is
done with the standard <link> tags.

> * resources internal to the package (to be able to display them, to
> bookmarks them, to link to them)

http://canonical.source/alice.in.wonderland.zip/chapter1

Serving this URL is the job of the web server, which is allowed by the
http specification to parse the non-host part of the URL any way it
wants.

http://cnn.com

> Furthermore, I would like to be able to share my bookmarks with other
> readers. So, when I bookmark chapter 7 of __Alice in Wonderland__, if I
> send this bookmark to some friend, that bookmark should keep working if
> the friend has __Alice in Wonderland__ on the computer.

http://canonical.source/alice.in.wonderland.zip/chapter7

works even if the friend *doesn't* have alice.in.wonderland already
cached on their computer.

> I don't want
> that bookmark to depend on the name of the directory in which the book
> has been moved to.

Right.

> Even better, it should have a meaning even if my
> friend doesn't have __Alice in Wonderland__ yet.

Yup.

> Do we agree up to this point ?

I think so.
 --scott