Problems embedding xulrunner

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 09:58:18 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:11 +0000, Frank Müller wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a XUL based application I'd like to run on OLPC. The included
> "Web activity" doesn't seem to do the trick (it doesn't handle
> chrome:// URLs and there doesn't seem to be a way to point it at my
> application.ini either), so I tried writing an activity that execs my
> xulrunner binary (based on the rgbpaint activity). This does launch
> xulrunner, but sugar covers the window with garbage. (launching the
> same binary from the command line works perfectly on OLPC).

for example. How are you registering the chrome?

> The next step was trying to implement something like -browserWindow
> for xulrunner (I've attached the patch) - this actually gets run and
> the window ID looks right, but again, sugar hides the window.
>
> Is there any way to fix it (or even a way to launch a xul application
> in the existing version of xulrunner)?

I don't think there is a way to load xulrunner applications inside
GtkMozEmbed.

The latest sugar version (git only, not on the images yet) allows you to
run raw X windows in the Sugar shell, and that should work for xulrunner
too. There is no support for it in the activity bundles yet, but you can
try it out by running the application from the command line.

Clearly this will not give you any integration with the sugar shell
(look and feel, activity sharing etc) but that's to expected.

Marco