[OLPC Brasil] Why call tools "activities"?

José Antonio joseantoniorocha at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:46:11 EDT 2007

On 4/5/07, Don Hopkins <dhopkins at donhopkins.com> wrote:

>  Albert Cahalan wrote:
>

> Actually no. Teachers are comfortable with homonyms, at least if
> they are already in common use and there is little chance of conflict.
> The problem with "activity" is that you're introducing a completely
> new meaning for a word that is already used for something else in
> the same contexts.
>
>  In what way is "activity" any more confusing than any other homonym
> teachers have to deal with when talking about computers, like "desktop"?

Consider that scene:

Teatcher: -- "Hi, kids! Today, we'll have a Geography activity with browser
activity"...

Two diferent things called by same word in same context. Children already
know this kind of tools (softwares) as "programs" ("programas", in
portuguese). Everybody calls software "programa" (just hair-pointed managers
calls software "application"). There's no need to call programs
"activities", no matter how wonderful would be these programs.

--
nome: "José Antonio Meira da Rocha"  tratamento: "Prof. MS."
atividade: "Pesquisa e aprendizado em mídias digitais"
googletalk: email: MSN: joseantoniorocha at gmail.com
ICQ: 658222 Skype: "meiradarocha_jor"
veículos: [ http://meiradarocha.jor.br http://olpcitizen.blogspot.com ]