high-pitched noise during bootup

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 20 21:07:08 EDT 2006

Mitch Bradley wrote:
> The likely suspects are the inductors in the various switching regulator
> circuits.
>
> They look like little black water tanks and most say 5R0R on top, but
> the one near the power input says 100PF. (you might think that to be a
> 100 picofarad capacitor, but it's actually an inductor.  Go figure.)

The inductor with the 100PF label is the culprit.

> Sometimes you can stop the vibrations with a dab of glue.  Hot-melt glue
> is often effective, as is epoxy.

I do have hot-melt glue, but I'm hesitant to apply it to the devel board.

However, since inductor whine seems to be expected, can I assume it won't
be audible when the board is inside the laptop? Children have better ears
than most of us and we don't want to give them headaches.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel