high-pitched noise during bootup

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Wed Sep 20 20:46:01 EDT 2006

The likely suspects are the inductors in the various switching regulator
circuits.

They look like little black water tanks and most say 5R0R on top, but
the one near the power input says 100PF. (you might think that to be a
100 picofarad capacitor, but it's actually an inductor.  Go figure.)

The magnetic fields in those inductors tends to induce vibrations.

Sometimes you can stop the vibrations with a dab of glue.  Hot-melt glue
is often effective, as is epoxy.