nrv2b, lzma and more savings

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Sep 14 10:33:11 EDT 2006

On 14/09/06 03:42 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Cons:
> * We would have to switch again once lzma is ready
> * Not widely tested yet

These alone are show-stoppers.  Right now, at this moment, we
have enough space in the stable image to work normally.   In the
future, that won't be true, but I'm not overly excited to switch
over to a new feature untested - especially now that everybody
depends on LinuxBIOS for their day to day activities.

I will be happy to add the Config.mk changes, but I stress that they
should remain commented out for now.

> This leaves another question to be decided: Do we want
> to keep compressing VSA and kernel/initrd separately or
> do we combine the two? And if we combine them, how can
> we separate them? Is integrating the VSA into the ELF
> image an option?

I don't think so.  They must remain seperate.  The VSA code is used during
the firmware boot, so it must be available quite early in the process.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer