Idea to LinuxIOS

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 09:54:14 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 20:40 +0700, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
> At earlier days usb8xxx are outside the kernel and have to say
>
> depmod -a
>
> after building new kernel every time, in which, annoying much.
>
> Now , it was good to see that libertas/usb8xxx.ko will be made
> automatically in compiling new kernel.
>
> But in my last test if say y to usb8xxx.ko instead of making it as module
> will crash the OLPC at boot time.
>
> IMO: we should make usb8xxx to work under kernel 2.4 and in wider
> environment.

Good God!  Why would you want to backport any OLPC kernel module to 2.4?
I'm fairly certain you'd be maintaining it outside the normal circles,
because I doubt that Marcelo would be taking 2.4 patches to libertas
git; I'd certainly recommend against taking them.  2.4 is a dead-end,
and not just for OLPC...

Dan