[OLPC-devel] error report on usb8xxx with new kernel and firmware

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Mon Sep 11 23:07:50 EDT 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Jim Gettys wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 12:52 +0700, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
>

>> The point of different I notice are:
>>
>> 1. slackware detect usb8xxx via /etc/rc.d/rc.M --> hotplug
>> 2. slackware do not have /etc/module.d/blacklist
>> 3. slackware has different /etc/udev/rules.d/
>> 4. login by slackware using PAM lib
>> 5. /etc/inittab are different
>>
>> But above mechanism work under old OLPC BIOS.
>>
>> If I know exactly steps and mechanism under fedora to fire-up usb8xxx then
>> I may be able to solve the problem.
>>

> You have both the binaries and sources for Fedora.  It is up to you to
> find the problems in Slackware. We have no way to do that work for you,
> nor the time to figure out and explain what Fedora may be doing.
>
> This is true in general: unless you are working on a specific item where
> you need the latest version of something, you may be best off taking
> apart the Fedora RPM and using those bits as a starting point: you would
> have avoided the fiasco of building the wrong version/driver for X
> several times, for example.
>
> 			Regards,
>                          - Jim Gettys
>
> --
> Jim Gettys
> One Laptop Per Child

Hi Jim Gettys,

Thank you so much. You already help me a lot and please don't worry about
slackware. I don't think the problem was there but on fedora. That is why
I try to find out where it is.

I know and test OLPC fedora versions and they have no problem on usb8xxx.
But no problem appear did not means problem did not exist.
Problem did show in slackware 10.2 means problem exist.
Problem did not show in old BIOS did not means problem did not exist too.

It was useless for me to use full fedora OLPC source code because doing so
I made repeated experiment that you and your friends already did and will
find nothing new.

The problem is not exist in your lib/kernel/bin but exist outside that
areas.

Please let me clearify my duty:

I am not talent in working to solve hardware problem under fedora
environment.

My talent is to apply your products to make it easy to be used universally
in sustainable manner.

So far, I found that amd driver you made cannot solve .swf problem.
And amd driver did work correctly on several versions of kernels and Xorg.

Your information did alredy help me much about building xorg because
earlier it was impossible for me to make it small to contain in a small
usb drive.

Different amd version may cause problems on your current work but did not
cause problem on slackware. So, please don't worry on versions I used. The
problem is not there.

If you forced me to use only fedora and follow exactly fedora did then you
will get nothing from me. And that will be useless to OLPC too.

Regards,
supat