[OLPC-devel] error report on usb8xxx with new kernel and firmware

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Thu Sep 7 22:05:36 EDT 2006

I got following error:

usbdev1.4 device descriptor read/64, error -71

EIP:[<c8946d15>] if-prog_firmware +0x13/0x110[usb8xxx] SS:ESP 0068:c079e20

I wrote above errors from screen. It has a lot more errors messages.

The machine crash with new linuxbios.rom I create yesterday.

I notice that under slackware, usb8xxx will work correctly IFF I must
enable rc.hotplug to run at exactly sequence under rc.M
If run it after rc.M passed then it will has errors firmware not found or
machine crash.

And w/o running rc.hotplug then it will not mount

mount -t usbfs /dev/usbdev1.4 /proc/bus/usb

So, it will has null content under /proc/bus/usb

probing :

modprobe usb8xxx will has zero effect if /proc/bus/usb was null
But will crash the machine is /proc/bus/usb/devices contain Marvell
wireless.

The only way to make it work correctly must pass thru rc.hotplug under the
old BIOS.

So far, no way to bring up usb8xxx under linux BIOS under slackware 10.2

regards,
supat