Config Linux BIOS: Is it possible (Re: [OLPC-devel] DOS in Windows Flash Disaster Recovery Utility?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Sep 5 23:29:52 EDT 2006

Supat,

I think you have 4 choices here:

o you can debug why the Marvell wireless isn't working on Slackware.
You should be using our latest drivers and firmware.  I asked before if
you were using the development kernel that David Woodhouse hosts on
Infradead.org, and you did not answer.

I repeat: not all changes for supporting OLPC have made it to
kernel.org, and/or back downstream to distributions, though we work hard
to see them integrated as quickly as possible.  You should not expect
either slackware's standard kernel or a kernel.org kernel to run
unchanged at this date; the wireless driver has *not* gone into Linus'
tree yet.  As a convenience, David keeps a git repository of all of our
work integrated and believed to be working, so that you do not have to
put together the individual drivers from different locations.

o you can restore Insyde BIOS, and set the date back to mid-summer, and
run what you had working before.

o you can get a USB wireless interface as a work-around; you'll need the
correct USB driver module for that, of course.

o you can run full Fedora on the boards off a USB disk.

None of us at OLPC use Slackware: we use either Fedora or Ubuntu, and
therefore aren't able to help you; and are using Fedora on the OLPC
boards.  In the past we've had Ubuntu running on them as well (though
installation was difficult). And there are few if any others on the
mailing list who run Slackware.

And the current X Window System "amd" driver are not on ftp.x.org, but
found at http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ in the current development
modules now in git.  They will be present in the X11R7.2 release this
fall, but you can get them immediately in the X development environment.

I don't know there is much more we can do for you.
                                        Regards,
                                           - Jim Gettys

--
Jim Gettys