System Software Telecon Meeting Minutes, 2006-10-31

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Oct 31 21:56:18 EST 2006

System SW Meeting Minutes
2006-10-31

 Richard (moderator)  Mitch (scribe),  Jim,  Chris Ball,  Zephaniah,  Ray,
  Ted,  Chris Blizzard,  Jordan,  Marcello,  Ivan,  MFoster,   Dave
Woodhouse, Andres

=== Agenda ===
Blizzard:
 * have net manager and browser in build, working well.  camera
userspace sw working.
 * tmpfs is implemented
 * x setup is working

Chris Ball:
 * the SD is not finding the card (even after cold boot)
 * we can't test simultaneously until SD works, but then it will be easy
to test simultaneously

Mark Foster:
 * Marvell is trying to get new FPGA bits Real Soon Now

Priorities:
 * Get all the hardware working

 - Get a network manager interface for Sugar, get the browser working well
done
  - Something to demonstrate the camera and video
  - Stabilize the X setup

Keyboard/touchpad again working.

- touchpad working with Andres kernel but not with numbered builds
   Andres' kernel is the release candidate

New libertas driver just checked in with boot programming ability.
needs testing.

Camera working (though latest cafe bits broke it).
-- Marvell is trying to fix

SD mostly working, with some bugs.

Boot from NAND working.

 * Dave found software problem and fixed it
 * Should be in an autobuild kernel already

USB problems (mostly) understood.

Please send me agenda items for discussion.

      Topics:
            Do we have another build for widespread deployment?
                If so, which one? If not, what's missing?

Missing a BIOS

            BIOS

DCON in Cambridge: Possible bad clock oscillator
DCON in Taiwan: DW has it working

            Placeholder (demo) applications

mplayer
gstreamer
Video 4 Linux
abiword

We need to set a cutoff date after which no new additions. Jim says
Sunday night midnight

            Priorities between now and BTest

Fix bugs

            Driver status and integration status.

Libertas - boot2 firmware upgraded, waiting for testing on btest.
Sent instructions to Mark.  Chris can test too in Cambridge.
Driver cleanup is lower priority than bug fixes - don't destabilize.

CaFe stress test is higher priority for Chris than testing Marvell boot FW.

            Action items / New Bug Triage

*** New action items:

AI: Chris Ball to backup DCON mode-changing software
Done

AI: Blizzard to push a new build, test and pronounce stable (not done!!)
Not done - waiting on FW

AI: Blizzard to test csound packaging with Barry Vercoe
Pretty good shape

AI: Blizzard to find out dependencies on mplayer, use it to demo camera
    * if too many dependencies, build ourself and put in our own repo

AI: Blizzard to talk to AbiWord guys about non-GNOME AbiWord build
They are working on it.

New AI: tell abiword guys the cutoff dates.

AI: Everyone with a DCON (Mitch, Cambridge and Jordan) to test BIOS.
In progress.

*** Existing action items:

Blizzard:
 - sysprof module has been added to kernel, is untested
 - If the kernel module works, we can `yum install sysprof`
 - Haven't played with memprof
 - oprofile may come for free as a result of sysprof

Mitch:
 - Mitch and Chris Ball to do a PRS test that runs in tinderbox
No work

Andres:
 - add verified state to Trac
Not done
Problem with mark getting logged out
Ivan has some patches that need to get pushed
Verified state might come with workflow branch
Defer the verified state if it is non-trivial

Everyone:
 - mail Ivan to get an internal wiki account if necessary
   * still open

Richard:
 - 113: LinuxBIOS flashing procedure needs additional step
 - Richard also needs to fix something with olpcflash
Done

Zephaniah:
 - Input: we have a functional kernel driver that needs minor tweaks
   before sending upstream.
   * not upstream, will happen this week.
No progress this week

 - Not quite ready because of btest hardware stuff
   After struggle, touchpad is working again with EC 22.
Done

Jordan:
 - make trac entries for any PRS issues that require LinuxBIOS changes.
   * Still need to file some trac tickets for things that need to be
     changed
No progress

 - open a trac bug about the text rendering speed problem.
No progress

 - DCON:  Preserve picture when graphics engine, gamma support
Just been observing.

Priorities:
 - give BIOS to Ray at Quanta.
 - user-level:
   * Barry Vercoe's  & TamTam stuff is packaged?
   * csound is packaged but untested, etoys and squeak are packaged
     * AI:  Blizzard to test csound with Barry.
   * AI:  find out dependencies on mplayer, use it to demo camera
   * AI:  if too many dependencies, build and put in our own repo.
   * need an editor: non-GNOME version of AbiWord?
     * AI: Blizzard to talk to AbiWord guys.

BIOS can slip to November 2/3 Cambridge time without affecting SMT
build.  Right now, DCON is the biggest blocker on the BIOS.

various bugs reviewed and triaged