Teleconference information for software status meeting tonight.

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Oct 31 15:41:19 EST 2006

OLPC software teleconference.   Note the action item list below. If you
can't make the meeting, **please at least update the status on action
items***. And please go through trac and comment/close bugs that are
done. Let's update our blocker and high priority bugs even if the status
is "no progress this week".

You can easily use the query page in trac to see what open issues you
have.

As I think everyone knows, we slipped the BTest build a week.

DIAL IN:
  From  the United States: 866-213-2185
  From Outside the United States:  1-609-454-9914

access code: 8069698

problems? Call customer care
800-526-2655 or 205-206-2301

Note the time change in some jurisdictions; US daylight savings time was
last weekend.  Tonight is Holloween in the U.S., so moving this an hour
earlier wasn't feasible.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=10&day=31&year=2006&hour=21&min=0&sec=0&p1=43

Priorities:
  - Get all the hardware working
  - Get a network manager interface for Sugar, get the browser working
well
  - Something to demonstrate the camera and video
  - Stabilize the X setup

Keyboard/touchpad again working.
New libertas driver just checked in with boot programming ability.
needs testing.
Camera working (though latest cafe bits broke it).
SD mostly working, with some bugs.
Boot from NAND working.
USB problems (mostly) understood.

Please send me agenda items for discussion.

      Topics:
            Do we have another build for widespread deployment?
                If so, which one? If not, what's missing?
            BIOS
            Placeholder applications
            Priorities between now and BTest
            Driver status and integration status.
            Action items / New Bug Triage

*** New action items:

AI: Chris Ball to backup DCON mode-changing software
AI: Blizzard to push a new build, test and pronounce stable (not done!!)
AI: Blizzard to test csound packaging with Barry Vercoe
AI: Blizzard to find out dependencies on mplayer, use it to demo camera
    * if too many dependencies, build ourself and put in our own repo
AI: Blizzard to talk to AbiWord guys about non-GNOME AbiWord build
AI: Everyone with a DCON (Mitch, Cambridge and Jordan) to test BIOS.

*** Existing action items:

Blizzard:
 - sysprof module has been added to kernel, is untested
 - If the kernel module works, we can `yum install sysprof`
 - Haven't played with memprof
 - oprofile may come for free as a result of sysprof

Mitch:
 - Mitch and Chris Ball to do a PRS test that runs in tinderbox
   * not done

Andres:
 - add verified state to Trac
   * not done

Everyone:
 - mail Ivan to get an internal wiki account if necessary
   * still open

Richard:
 - 113: LinuxBIOS flashing procedure needs additional step
 - Richard also needs to fix something with olpcflash

Zephaniah:
 - Input: we have a functional kernel driver that needs minor tweaks
   before sending upstream.
   * not upstream, will happen this week.
 - Not quite ready because of btest hardware stuff
   After struggle, touchpad is working again with EC 22.

Jordan:
 - make trac entries for any PRS issues that require LinuxBIOS changes.
   * Still need to file some trac tickets for things that need to be
     changed
 - open a trac bug about the text rendering speed problem.
   * No progress
 - DCON:  Preserve picture when graphics engine, gamma support

Priorities:
 - give BIOS to Ray at Quanta.
 - user-level:
   * Barry Vercoe's  & TamTam stuff is packaged?
   * csound is packaged but untested, etoys and squeak are packaged
     * AI:  Blizzard to test csound with Barry.
   * AI:  find out dependencies on mplayer, use it to demo camera
   * AI:  if too many dependencies, build and put in our own repo.
   * need an editor: non-GNOME version of AbiWord?
     * AI: Blizzard to talk to AbiWord guys.

BIOS can slip to November 2/3 Cambridge time without affecting SMT
build.  Right now, DCON is the biggest blocker on the BIOS.

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child