Open Firmware use on OLPC.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Oct 13 19:56:08 EDT 2006

* Mitch Bradley <wmb at firmworks.com> [061014 01:14]:
> c) The "tar-like minifilesystem" (the real name is "dropin format") is
> constructed by simple concatenation of individual "dropin modules".

Is this dropin format documented somewhere?

I am asking because I just invented the same thing a couple of days ago,
called it lar, the linuxbios archive format, so we will be able to cope
with onboard vga option roms, fallback mechanisms and extensions in a
sane manner in future. We initially talked about using CPIO for that,
but it is not flexible and safe enough in some cases.

It might make sense to use a similar or the same mechanism here.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613