Open Firmware use on OLPC.

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Fri Oct 13 19:14:59 EDT 2006

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

>> ofw is like a "tar" of mostly gzipped files
>>
>> ofw as distributed here  -> 338 kB
>> that image throught lzma -> 300 kB
>> compress idividual files -> 225 kB
>>
>> It could make sense to include VSA and .. in this kind of
>> tar like a minifilesystem to avoid duplication of code.
>>

> OK, so the easy fix is to remove compression from the individual
> files and instead use lzma on the uncompressed image. LinuxBIOS
> will decompress the whole image into memory anyway, so I can't
> see any disadvantage of this method.

The disadvantages:

a) It's not necessarily the case that LB decompresses the image into
memory.  OFW is currently set up to stay in ROM and just decompress
parts of itself as necessary.  That's fairly easy to do, just set the
entry point in the ELF header and don't include any pheaders.

b) OFW gets a fair amount of reuse from its embedded decompressor.  It
uses not only for bits of itself, but also for loaded os images, .zip
archives, and JFFS2 file fragments.

c) The "tar-like minifilesystem" (the real name is "dropin format") is
constructed by simple concatenation of individual "dropin modules".
That's useful, because an OEM who is creating a system that's a small
variation on an existing system can easily add their own stuff just by
appending a new module at the end.  The SPARCstation clone market used
that capability to good advantage, to do stuff like add vendor-specific
customizations without having to muck around with the base code.  A lot
of small-time hardware vendors have very limited on-staff software
capabilities, so not having to rebuild entire bootroms from scratch can
be a big win.