lzma with TCP/IP and libertas driver... and still some room

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 11:48:21 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 10:26 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Yeah, and the other headache in IPv4 is lack of autoconfiguration: you
> need a dhcp server for two machines to talk to each other.  If we want
> to clone systems from nearby kids, this then means a dhcp server, and
> all that rot.

What about self-assigned IP4 addresses?  That's pretty standard in all 3
major OSes, and there's a well-defined process to come up with one.  You
essentially pick an address at random from the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range,
and send out some packets to see if anyone else has it.  If somebody
does, you pick a new address and repeat.

We're already going to ship Avahi for userspace, and it can do this just
fine.  For the BIOS side of things, this should be trivial to implement
as the state machine is quite simple.

This will at least get two machines talking to each other.

Dan