lzma with TCP/IP and libertas driver... and still some room

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Oct 4 10:26:25 EDT 2006

Yeah, and the other headache in IPv4 is lack of autoconfiguration: you
need a dhcp server for two machines to talk to each other.  If we want
to clone systems from nearby kids, this then means a dhcp server, and
all that rot.

Having personally had my home network hosed when a little sipura voip
box I had decided it would be nice to also offer addresses, this scares
the bejezus out of me.
                                          - Jim

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 13:21 +0200, Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at wrote:

> What's the use case for using IPv4?
>
> Main reason for using IPv4 today is compatibility with existing devices.
> But with official IPv4 adresses becoming a scarce resource you end up with
> dozend and hundreds of 192.168.0.0, 172.16.0.0 and 10.0.0.0 networks which
> are horrible to interconnect.
>
> So one IPv6 subnet  for every child should be the logical choice to use
> with OLPC.
> This way every child could use his OLPC to boot a broken OLPC of another
> child with an rescue system, without clashing with other OLPC in the area,
> as it is common with IPv4 if somebody accidently installs it's own DHCP
> server an hand out wrong IPs.
>
> Add an IPv6 to IPv4 Gateway to the 100$ Server and you end up with a system
> that should work quite well.
>
> cu andreas
>

> Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> schrieb am 04.10.2006 02:23:24:
>
> > Any time you are unrouted, you have limited your system management
> > options.
> >
> > In this case, to the local island, forcing that any software repository
> > to also  be local.  So you've just foreclosed other options.
> >
> > There may be times when you have sufficient bandwidth you'd prefer to
> > have fewer repositories....
> >                                   - Jim
> >

> > On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 20:18 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > > What's the real use case for having to include IPv6?  As far as I can
> > > tell the only use case is local re-installation of operating system.
> > >
> > > We can certainly make assumptions about the local network.  Need to do
> > > re-install?  Use the non-routed local IPv4 network that's supplied by
> > > the server or another client running a special app that's once again
> > > IPv4 based.  No need to include all that extra code in the ROM and we
> > > save ourselves a huge amount of time.
> > >
> > > --Chris
> > --
> > Jim Gettys