Controller button design

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 23 09:05:03 EST 2006

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> You still can use the controller buttons
> for whatever you want in your activity. Like jump or duck in a game.

But by using accept/cancel symbols, you're creating totally unintuitive
visual connections. Why on earth would I press the cancel button to
jump, or the accept button to fire?

The e-book activity, in particular, makes use of all of the buttons
without any of them meaning accept or cancel. You can question the use
of the Sony-like symbols -- at one point, the prototypes just had the
numbers 1-4 on the buttons, IIRC -- but I disagree strongly with
labeling the buttons in a manner that implies a particular function.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D