Controller button design

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Nov 23 08:59:30 EST 2006

On Nov 23, 2006, at 14:06 , Ivan Krstić wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> One thing I immediately liked were the graphical labels on the
>> Enter and
>> Escape keys, which match the screen graphic. Now, why aren't the same
>> graphics used on the controller buttons to mean accept and cancel?
>
> Because that would be a waste of two controller buttons on an
> infrequent
> scenario (having to accept/cancel a dialog in e-book mode). This way,
> the applications choose what they wish to do with all four keys, which
> is much more useful.

Err, sorry, that's nonsense. You still can use the controller buttons
for whatever you want in your activity. Like jump or duck in a game.
But the the use for positive or negative feedback is not at all
infrequent. Your own guidelines state "The most common use for
standard buttons might be as select and cancel buttons." So I still
question arbitrary symbols in general and the Sony ones in particular.

- Bert -