RFC on your multimedia needs

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Wed Nov 15 14:25:23 EST 2006

Hi there

This is an amazing project, congrats :)

Ok, I work on mplayer/ffmpeg and I'd like to help you guys out
fullfiting whatever multimedia needs you may have (software wise)
. I had a little chat with some of you on #olpc today and a few ideas
where thrown on the table, Im here asking for your comments and any
other idea you may have, here is what i have so far then:

1.- The hability to play/display video is considered a must
2.- Ttreaming would be nice
3.- Real time encoding from camera is wished
	- would this be the only 'encoding' need?
4.- Optimization work for geode its a must
	- there is already some work on olpc's software repo
5.- The idea of streamlining mplayer was suggested, sounds doable.
6.- The idea of building something new on top of ffmpeg was suggested,
	sounds unpractical to me but, who knows ..

Other not mentioned ideas

1.- What are the key points of system integration for the
	displaying/encoding app?
		- file manager ?
		- browser ?
2.- If cli sounds too complex for kids what do you think should be the
	main caracteristics of a multimedia app gui? do you have some
	usability guidelines i guess, does them apply to this subject?

There is a lot to add here, hope to get the discussion started.

Best regards

	Reynaldo