Getting developer boards to talk to eachother.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Nov 1 02:02:34 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 22:49 -0800, MBurns wrote:
> (Wasn't sure if I should send this to networking@, devel-board@, or
> devel at . My apologies if this is the wrong choice.)
>
> Problem: Mesh networking (dev board to dev board) does not work. Peer
> discovery, Mesh View, etc, does not seem to function.
>
> Scenario:
> * 2 a-test boards
> * both on build 133 (latest),
> * 2nd generation (the updated version) wireless card,
>
> Both boards are detecting an in-range wireless network (so they are
> functioning). The boards don't seem to self-assign themselves address,
> and putting them on the same 192.168.1/24 subnet didn't help either.
> Should this be an automatic thing, or is it a known issue?

Are you using WEP?  Are you creating an ad-hoc network or using an
existing infrastructure network?  How are you configuring the wireless
settings for the boards?

They won't self-assign an address automatically, and there are a few
NetworkManager bits necessary for automatic ad-hoc connections at
startup which is probably what people are looking for here.

Dan