[OLPC-devel] Embedded Controller and Serial Flash ROM

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon May 29 22:32:41 EDT 2006

Hi Ray,

thanks for your explanations.

Ray.Tseng at quantatw.com wrote:
> The size will grow rapidly, please reserve 64K for final EC.

Can we be sure that 64k will be sufficient for the EC code?

> The EC  takes care 1) Event detect 2) Power on/off
> 3) battery management 4) Keyboard/mouse etc.

Do you have any numbers on which part is the biggest? I assume
battery management.

Is event detection and keyboard/mouse needed before the BIOS is
run? If not, can we split that part away and load it later?

> The EC code control the power on sequence, it run before the BIOS
> The EC code can not be compressed.

That's unfortunate. Do you write the EC code directly in assembly
or do you use a compiler like romcc?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--