[OLPC-devel] Embedded Controller and Serial Flash ROM

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon May 29 09:55:30 EDT 2006

Mark J. Foster wrote:
> Hi, Folks!
>
> As I scanned through 'devel' this weekend, I noticed an important
> absence in the serial ROM Flash layout.  The 512K serial Flash ROM is
> actually shared between the system BIOS and the embedded controller.
> Upon power-up, the embedded controller reads its code from the first 64K
> of the serial Flash - we therefore need to reserve the first 64K of the
> serial Flash for the EC.

Can't the EC use only 32k? And when exactly does the EC read its code?
Before the BIOS is run? If so, can we load the EC code after the BIOS?
Which vital functions are performed by the EC and can we split them
from non-vital functions (if any)?

Can you attach the current EC code (even if it doesn't work)? If it
is possible to execute that code during or after BIOS init, we can
compress it and probably save >50% of space.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/