[OLPC-devel] Embedded Controller and Serial Flash ROM

Mark J. Foster mfoster at laptop.org
Mon May 29 09:35:14 EDT 2006

Hi, Folks!

As I scanned through 'devel' this weekend, I noticed an important
absence in the serial ROM Flash layout.  The 512K serial Flash ROM is
actually shared between the system BIOS and the embedded controller.
Upon power-up, the embedded controller reads its code from the first 64K
of the serial Flash - we therefore need to reserve the first 64K of the
serial Flash for the EC.

Thus far, we've basically been dealing with a "dead" EC, for the system
is only running off the power-up default states of the EC pins.
However, Quanta's nearly ready to release the first revision of this
code, so we'll have to start organizing the BIOS to be prepared for that
release fairly soon.

Sorry to aggravate the code space challenge, but this is inherent to the
hardware structure of the machine!

Cheers!
Mark