[OLPC-devel] you can try this

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu May 25 18:27:48 EDT 2006

Goodrich,Steven wrote:
> Sorry for breaking that 64k limit; I'm not sure how else we could get VG
> (graphics) support.

not a problem! it forced me to do something we *had* to do!

> I'm trying to build the LinuxBIOS image, but it's asking for a payload
> and I'm not sure what to give it. I'll grab a new snapshot in a few
> minutes and try building again.

The olpc rev-a will look for /tmp/olpcpayload.elf. Just, for now, do
that dance I mentioned in an earlier email.

objcopy -R .note -R .comment -S vmlinux vmlinux.strip
cp vmlinux.strip /tmp/olpcpayload.elf

> Hmm... How are we going to get VSA into the LinuxBIOS distribution so
> others can build?

I have no clue :-)

> I also need to get a new MSR list from the current build (with the
> new/bigger VSA) to see how much of the VG is being initialized (if any),
> and then to make a list of what else needs to be initialized.

tell me what MSRs you want. I can't run that program (linux is not up ..
help somebody ... how do I boot a usb dongle on OLPC) but I can put a
dump in linuxbios

> Egad... 20 years in the industry (Low-level PC/Windows), and I feel like
> a babe in Linuxland.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

ron