[OLPC-devel] Browser based software translation

bernhard bz at datenkueche.com
Mon May 22 16:52:33 EDT 2006

Hi all

To translate software and documentation to all the languages and scripts
spoken in this world will be a big task.
To preserve languages and cultures should be an aim of OLPC.

I started to make a browser based approach to translate software.
This would enable more people to translate software because no
programming skills are necessary.

I started with a webform that allows to translate PSI jabber client.
This is easy because all the human readable strings are in one XML File.
At the moment I have a functional English to German translation page
online - feel free to
make tests. This is only for testing. Unicode is supported.

Here the wiki page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/Browser_based_software_translation

Questions:
What kind of file formats are used for language packs?
Are there sample files to improve my webApp (I'm good in regexp) -
please give some URLs.
What features should be included in the webapp (version control, user
authentication, changelog, screenshots...)?

Please give feedback by email or wiki-page

Bernhard