[OLPC-devel] Re: wireless/libertas: miscellaneous fixes

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 17:58:41 EDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:

> I build an initrd with wireless-tools, busybox and uclibc, and I only had
> 9k left in the ROM when it was all said and done.  Granted, there is clean
> up to be had, but we're going to have to be prepared to pay the price for
> having all of these tools hanging about.

This seems really fat to me.  When I first started with linuxbios many
years ago I built a kexec setup that had to fit in 512k.  To make this
happen I had to customize (read hack) the pcmcia tools a bit.  I had
linux 2.4 + ornicco drivers + my really simple cardmgr/pcmcia tools +
iwconfig + dhclient + kexec all in there.  I had like 500 bytes left
over when it was done.

Most of the stuff that cardmgr did is now done in the kernel and the
tiny-kernel is not _that_ much larger now than it was back in 2.4 days

How big are the wireless tools and busybox tools?

Since you are building an image that kexecs into another image is it
really necessary to have a whole lot of additional tools?  Its not
like you can do a whole lot if it fails other than re-flash a new
biosimage or kexec up whats on the usb drive.

--
Richard A. Smith