[OLPC-devel] (no subject)

piumarta at speakeasy.net piumarta at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 21 13:27:27 EDT 2006

Hi David,

>    http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/development/build27-20060619_1000/images/olpc-stream-development-27-20060619_1000-ext3.img.bz2

That image works, thanks!  I copied it straight to a USB hard drive.

The window that opens for user 'olpc' is larger than the X server's root window which is a little confusing.  I can find no way to close it.

To get our software up I had to killall python and eventually two prefdm processes and the X server itself (since it was refusing unauthorised connections from localhost and I had no way to run xhost).  There is no xterm, so I had to pull that and libexpat over from elsewhere.  After that I was able to restart X with secure connections disabled and start xterm from another VT, scp our software over, install and run it.

It might be worth considering (at least for now) for the 'root' user not to have those python things opened in their face, and instead to give them (at least) an xterm (and maybe twm too).

Otherwise it was a perfect experience: booted first time.

Thanks again!
Ian