[OLPC-devel] NAND Flash Performance: IDE Interface Hack

Mark J. Foster mfoster at laptop.org
Sat Jun 17 16:14:05 EDT 2006

Hi, Dave!

I'm moving forward on a new ASIC that I call CAFE.  I haven't been
posting too much about it yet, because if we go this route, it would
probably also contain a couple of additional peripheral interfaces that
we're not ready to commit to for inclusion in the machine just yet.  If
these interfaces are included, though, combining the NAND controller
with the new interfaces yields excellent pricing.

The progress in this regard is actually quite promising, with a vendor
that wants to make it happen, but we're obviously facing a heinously
tight schedule.  Within a few days, we should know if this is a real
solution or not.  Performance-wise, this solution would connect via the
PCI bus, so it should deliver near-optimal performance for a 33 MHz PCI
bus (66 MHz isn't worth the power tradeoff).

I'll update folks once we have a clearer direction.

Cheers!
MarkF