[OLPC-devel] just verified: 2306 + olpc + linux kernel works.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Sat Jun 3 20:49:04 EDT 2006

I've seen the numbers so far and we're still off.
recall that the room we have is
   512
- 64 (keyboard)
- 35 (vsa MINUS softvg) (I was able to shrink this from 64k)
			(this is not including softvg)
			(I would rather NOT have softvg in here)
- 28 (linuxbios)  	(down from 32k)
----
389

we're still about 70k off, best so far is about 460.

I am going to set up a simulation environment in qemu just to test some
ideas out.

Here is one possible idea that we have used on other linuxbios
platforms, an idea which we have used in the past when space was very
tight.

Think of the Linux in the ROM BIOS as a pure boot loader. It has one and
only one function in life: to load a kernel from one of two places, USB
or NAND FLASH. The kernel need not be stored in a file system -- it can
be stored as an ELF image in the first <x> blocks of the medium.

In this situation, this ROM BIOS-based Linux kernel is purely a boot
loader. No file systems needed. It need only be capable of loading an
elf image from USB or from NAND FLASH.

We can still have our initrd (or initramfs) with its prompt about which
medium to load from. But it won't be using a file system for the kernel
it loads.

As I say, I'll be testing this configuration in qemu and let you know
how it goes.

thanks

ron