[OLPC-devel] writing nand flash on OLPC

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Fri Jul 28 02:27:22 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 03:32:51AM -0700, Mark J. Foster wrote:
> Hi, James!
> > GRUB loading, please wait...
> > Error 21
>
> You're probably running into a bug in the Insyde BIOS - its partition
> management code is very broken.  You might try reformatting your USB
> disk image to have no partition table - that's been necessary with many
> of the USB drives that we've tested.

Indeed.  Tried a 40GB IDE in USB 2.0 case, and it booted fine, right to
the username prompt in a graphics mode, default username olpc.

> Alternately, you might begin the transition to LinuxBIOS...

The followup suggested I needed a flash chip, and I imagine there's risk
of killing stuff.  I might stick with the Insyde faults for the time
being, now that I can work around them.  ;-]