[OLPC-devel] I tested the new graphical interface in buildrom

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 27 00:19:24 EDT 2006

looks nice. It did not boot. When I hit a key on the keyboard, the
display went away. My serial port dongle is back at work (!@#$!#$!@#$#@!
-- how could I forget to pack it?) so I can't see what's on serial :-) I
have a USB mouse connected but it appears to have no control of anything.

But I can confirm that under linuxbios, the new buildrom will put up a
nice picture ... I can't see if anything else is going on. At this point
I can not really use it for anything.

Now I wonder ... is it too terrible an idea to display boot messages
under the pretty pictures? Just so people have some confidence that
actions are occuring?

Also, the pictures were black and white, and no changes (highlighting or
whatever) occured. IIRC on the web page each picture had some sort of
highlight that occured in sequence -- is this intended to happen on OLPC?

For the icon in top left, inside the cable-like thing, in the top
connector, there is a little grey box with a stipple patter. I can send
a movie of all this if you want to see it -- might be fun to put on the
wiki.

It takes precisely 10 seconds for the pictures to appear. We can speed
this up when we make linuxbios less verbose. I'd like to get to 5.

nice work. This is absolutely the best looking thing I've ever been
associated with. It's really great looking IMHO.

thanks

ron