[OLPC-devel] Weekly work summary [7/12]

mharriso at student.umass.edu mharriso at student.umass.edu
Mon Jul 17 01:24:44 EDT 2006

 eBook External Data Sources
 http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/soc-eds
 git://dev.laptop.org/projects/soc-eds

Status Update
Updated the Reader spec at http://dev.laptop.org/wiki/ReaderSpec .  Also see the
screenshot attached to the bottom of the page (gui5.png).  I was experimenting
with making some GUI mock-ups in PyGTK, but at this point, it is rather unclear
as to what I am/am not supposed to be doing with the GUI.

I've started using the Twisted networking suite to start implementing a
client/server design for the reader.  The laptops will send search requests to
the server, which will then send search results and download/convert/send the
actual books to the laptops.

The gutenberg module is now a class, and search results are given as a list
instead of just printing to the screen.  However, most of my code is a mess
right now as I change the main structure/design of it around a bit.

Next week
As Eric's work with the language/parser advances, I'll be looking at applying
Markenstein to some eBooks and experimenting with splitting the books into 62k
chunks and only loaded this much into memory at once.

Once I clear up some GUI stuff, I hope to add more to the spec.